Saturday, 11 June 2016

Adventure Time



A few years ago a started watching a TV show with my kids called Adventure Time, I love it, my kids love it and my wife not loving so much (she says that the characters are mean to each other - which they can be, I guess, from time-to-time). So, when I was looking at what comic trade to pick up next to read, I spotted the Adventure Time books and, with out missing a beat, skipped them and picked up Marvel's Secret Invasion instead. 

Why was this?

Well, other than wanting to read Secret Invasion, I have a fear of comics adapted from TV shows. This is born from the trash 'kids comics' (I use the word comics very lightly in this context of kids comics) my kids pick up from supermarkets. If you have no experience of these 'kids comics' that litter the supermarkets they are horrid. I'm really snobby about not calling them comics to my kids, or in fact anyone else, as they a over priced magazines with a three to five page comic story, twenty-ish pages of adverts and thrown together articles and a pants plastic toy stuck on the cover that breaks within ten minutes of play. The kids have fun with them for about half an hour at most, then they seem to end up filling the bottom of their toy box.

A few weeks later, however. Curiosity got the better of me, and taking a gamble, I picked up volume one of Adventure Time.



Writer, Ryan North. 
Art by Braden Lamb, Mike Holmes, Shelli Paroline

It's ADVENTURE TIME! Join Finn the Human, Jake the Dog, and Princess Bubblegum for all-new adventures through The Land of Ooo. The top-rated Cartoon Network show now has its own comic book! Don’t miss the first collected volume of this critically acclaimed “all-ages classic” that has fans and critics alike calling it “the best new comic of 2012”! Contains Issues: 1-4 & the Free Comic Book Day Story.


What can I say?

AWESOME!

This is such a great collection of stories, all fitting together to make the book into one big story. I really loved it, and as a bonus, it is also something I can sit down and read with my kids and they get and enjoy as well (try explaining the complexities of the X-Men to you five year old who is insisting you let them read one of your comics). 

Reading the Adventure Time comic is just like watching the TV show, the flow, writing, humor and art all feel as if it has come right off of your TV and straight onto the pages of book. So if you are a fan of the TV show, you are going to be a fan of these comics. It's rare that I find a comic that is such a brilliant adaption, I just can't say enough good stuff about this first volume of Adventure Time, I just wish that other animated TV shows would follow this example and get their act together when it comes to adapting their shows into comics. 

In a nutshell, I get the impression that the crew behind Adventure Time (the TV show) put in a lot of love, care and attention in to making the show, and that same effort appears on the pages of the comic as well. I can't recommend volume one of Adventure Time enough, it is beautifully written and illustrated, and a really great read - I'm already eyeing up the second volume of Adventure Time and one of the spin offs I also spotted based on Marceline (one of my fave characters from the show). 

I'm in the middle of reading Age of Ultron at the moment, a very different comic book to Adventure Time, and will be posting about this soonish.







  


No comments:

Post a Comment