Friday, 18 October 2013

Helen of Sparta



I'm still working on pin-ups an other things in between the bits of artwork I'm working on for a book. I thought I'd start work on the characters for a comic I've been writing on and off now for a few years (see me last post). However, time is not my friend at the moment, so I think that is going on the back burner until at least the New Year. Anyway, to today's rendering, Helen of Sparta:


This one is inspired by my keen interest in the ancient history of both Greece and Rome - love that stuff, and a comment I read in a history book about Spartan culture where the author, taking about the beauty of Spartan women, said that one of the most famous women in the world for their beauty is Helen of Troy... ...who you have to remember, that before she was of Troy, she was of Sparta. 

One of the things I like about this painting is the pose, difficult to do in real life and also not the most practical way to hold a spear. However, it really does show-off Helen as the athletic Spartan woman she was. 


Artwork ©Simon Breeze 2013














No comments:

Post a Comment