Saturday, 8 June 2013

Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt



'Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?' - Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt

I'm currently reading the second Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus, among other things, and loving every page so far. However, I do have one problem. When I'm reading the books I have a mental tug-o-war with the way Gaunt looks. I know from the books and interviews with their creator, the mighty Dan Abnett, that he has blonde hair, tall and, well, gaunt looking. In fact he is based on Sean Bean's character of Sharpe from the show of the same name.



The 'mental tussle' comes from the awesome Clint Langley covers for the books. I just want to state now Clint Langley is an art hero for me and has been a big influence on my work for many years now. However, having said that he always paints Gaunt as a stocky, dark haired guy. Which is fine, except for the fact when ever I read the books I picture a cross between Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman and it's starting to bug me because I know he should look, tall, gaunt and blonde and like Sean Bean.



To cure this I decided to do a portrait of Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt how I understand he should look., and here it is:



And this has done the trick!



Artwork ©Simon Breeze 2013








No comments:

Post a Comment