Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Tron: Betrayal

I'm a huge fan of Tron, I've read the books, I have the sound tracks, I've read the comics, I have some of the toys, I've seen the films way to many times, hey I even have the T-Shirt! So when the Trade Collection of Tron Betrayal fell into my sticky mitts I was more than a little excited.

I feel I need to add at this point that I am and never have been or will be as bad as the infamous, 'Tron Guy' - Thank you.

Back to the comic: visually this is a stunning comic. Sadly, as good as it looks, it doesn't read so well. Not only is the story 'clunky' it almost feels pointless as well. The clunkyness comes from the way that YEARS of time are compressed into a very short comic series, this makes it feel that you are reading the clip notes of a much bigger story.

This brings me to the story, what was the point of that? Here was a fantastic opportunity to tell a detailed tale of how Clu came about along with the new Grid and how Clu and Flynn fell out with each other.

Instead what we get is a jumpy version of the 'catch up' from the start of Tron Legacy (which by the way is amazing in the film), only fleshed out a bit, and could kind of be argued that it gives you a bridge between Tron and Tron Legacy.

I may be being a little harsh with my review, however this simply comes from a place of, 'what could have been'.

Tron Betrayal is a 3 out of 5, it has some really good action and a few good story bits too. This added to the fantastic art notches it above a 2 out of 5.






No comments:

Post a Comment