Sunday, 16 September 2012

Second Stab at It!

'As the Emperor protects, so must we.’ - Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt, Tanith First and Only.

Here
is my latest piece of Warhammer 40,000 art, the single sword Tanith Badge:



This painting was completely unplanned and came about through some ‘feedback’ from fans of the Gaunt’s Ghosts series of novels and stories by Dan Abnett .

A very long story as short as I can make it: It turns out that as I have only read the first few books so-far (and they are very awesome books too) that unknowingly in my first attempt of the badge the Guardsmen of the Tanith First and Only wear, I was neglect of the fact that it has change in appearance in the future novels to only sport one, not the three swords that I had given it – go figure.

(You can find the post with my original painting here)

So putting on my detective hat I looked into it and it appears that some of the squads, but not all remove two of the swords. By the by this inspired me to create a painting of the new version of the badge, and here it is.

Why gold for this one and not silver as for the last?

Oddly, my plan for the last badge was to paint it in gold. However, at the time, I added a nice blue wash to it and it came out a very lovely blue-steel colour. So this time I went for the gold look as I originally planned.

More WH40K art coming soon!



1 comment:

  1. One of the better looking badges I've seen. I'd like to point out that the "swords" are actually daggers...and the men of Tanith didn't remove the other two daggers, they broke the tips and hilts off of the blades. You can still see part of the blades in the badge. Keep up the good work. -Dan A.

    ReplyDelete