Blog Archive

Friday, 30 September 2011

This Months Reading List

Okay, so here is this months reading list, I think I have made up this month for the last fews lack of trade paper backs and graphic novels:

Comics

Warlord of Mars Dejah Thoris  #6

50 Girls 50  #4

Megazine Prog 315

2000AD Prog 1749-1753

Gears of War  #19

Action Comics (DCNU)  #1

Critter #2

Danger Girl Army of Darkness  #3

DC Universe Online Legends  #14

Detective Comics (DCNU)  #1




Trade Paperbacks/Graphic Novels



Elephantmen - Damaged Goods

Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter by Darwyn Cooke

Planet of the Apes - The Long War

Star Wars Omnibus Volume 2





Novels

Ultramarines Omnibus

Audio Books

The Gods of Mars


In Summary

Overall a really good month. Highlights for comics is a tie between Critter #2 and Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness #3, these are the two that jump right to the top of my reading pile the moment they arrive. For TPB and Graphic Novels it has to be without a shadow of a doubt Parker: The Hunter, which I'll talk about more in a moment. As for novels and Audio Books, The Gods of Mars. I have a lot of love for this series and the re-visit via audio was well worth it. On to the next one in the series, The Warlord of Mars!

Something that was also met with joy and a sigh of relief was the choice to call it a day with the Ultramarines Omnibus. It just isn't for me. Yes I am a huge fan of the Warhammer 40k universe and have enjoyed several of the books in the past, I just found it a chore to pick this book up. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think when I look at the heart of it, I just had no connection to the Characters. Space Marines I think you either love them or accept them, there is no hate form them because they are so cool! Although written well and some good story ideas, it felt everything that could be said was said in the first book, to me, it was going nowhere in the second and third book, and the limelight of the first book was stolen from the Space Marines by the Inquisitor. On to some Gaunt's Ghosts next for me and the world of 40K, much more my speed!



Highlight of the Month

All-righty! On to Parker: The Hunter.


Here is the splash from the back:

"THE HUNTER is the story of a man who hits New York head-on like a shotgun blast to the chest. Betrayed by the woman he loved and double-crossed by his partner in crime. Parker makes his way cross-country with only one thought in mind – coldly exact revenge and reclaim what was taken from him".

The Hunter is a graphic novel adaptation from the Richard Stark, Parker series of novels, and oddly the only adaptation that has been allowed to use the name of Parker. An example of this that springs to mind is the Mel Gibson film Payback, based on the same story and series yet the lead character was called Porter. A fantastic film if you are curious.

Darwyn Cooke's adaptation is, to me, the way a graphic novel should be done - it is a thing of art. The book is in hardback, nice heavy gauge off white paper is used for the pages, the feel of the book is that it is something from the 60's (when this story is set). This mixed with the beautiful page art  and superb writing shows the passion Darwyn Cooke has for this character and his story.  

I recommend this book to anyone, comic reader or not. In those infamous words, Darwyn Cooke has turned it up to eleven with Parker: The Hunter. Check it out, and I challenge you to put it down once you have picked it up. A well deserved six out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment